You only have one chance to make a great first impression, so it’s important to get it right. If you inadvertently do something to give the interviewer a bad feeling about you, it can be impossible to repair your image. There’s a good chance you’re up against some tough competition, so you need to put your all into the interview from the very beginning.
How to Make a Great First Impression
Present yourself in a positive manner at your next job interview by taking these five steps:
- Arrive on Time: There’s really no better way to get off to a bad start than showing up late. This shows a blatant disregard for the interviewer’s time and a lack of respect for the company. If you can’t even show up promptly for the job interview, why would you be trusted to make it to work on time?
- Dress Professionally: Whether you like it or not, you’re going to be judged by the way you present yourself. Always dress professionally for a job interview, even if you’re told it’s not necessary. You can enjoy dressing casually everyday if hired.
- Be Prepared: If you want to stand out as the best candidate, you’ll need to prepare answers to common interview questions, conduct background research on the company and make a list of questions to ask the interviewer. Also, remember to bring extra copies of your resume with you. Job interview preparation is certainly a lot of work, but it’s well worth your efforts.
- Treat Everyone with Respect: The hiring manager isn’t the only person you need to impress. Remember to be just as kind to the receptionist, interns and anyone else you encounter during your visit. Not only is it rude to treat people poorly, it could also ruin your chances of getting the job.
- Send the Right Nonverbal Cues: Often times, it’s what you don’t say that’s most telling to interviewers. Avoid fidgeting, crossing your arms and appearing stiff. Do your best to look natural, without becoming too relaxed.
Never underestimate the power of a first impression, as this is what will stay with the hiring manager. If they feel good about you from the start, your chances of getting the job are significantly higher.
Ready to take the next step in your career?
Contact PrideStaff North Dallas. Our team is here to help you find your dream job. We have temporary, temp-to-hire and direct recruiting opportunities available at some of the most well-respected companies in Dallas.