These days, submitting a cover letter with your resume is no longer an option ─ it’s a requirement. This is a great way to introduce yourself to the hiring manager and make them want to read your resume. However, sending a standard, generic cover letter will do nothing but secure your spot in the discard pile, so it’s important to personalize it to make it stand out.
5 Tips to Make Your Cover Letter Stand Out
- Address it Properly: While you won’t be dismissed for not knowing the hiring manager’s name, you also won’t win any extra points for addressing it to “hiring manager.” If at all possible find the name of the person and address your cover letter to them directly. Seeing their own name on the letter is sure to catch their attention.
- Keep it Short: Your cover letter should be short, so the hiring manager doesn’t get bored and stop reading. Never send one longer than a page, but it should ideally be just three to five paragraphs in length.
- Make it Personal: Do your best to make a personal connection with the hiring manager, as this increases the chance you’ll be remembered. If you were referred by a current employee, mention this. However, if you don’t actually know anyone at the company, highlight something you really like about the organization and why this makes you want to work there.
- Do Your Research: Conduct background research on the company to learn more about their needs and values. Use examples from the job description to describe how your experience closely aligns with the requirements of the position. Demonstrating that you have the skills to excel at the job and the ability to fit in with the company culture will likely get you a long way.
- Check for Errors: You can spend a great deal of time writing the best cover letter a hiring manager has ever seen, but if there’s even one spelling or grammatical error you’ll likely ruin your chance of getting an interview. Make sure to double check your cover letter to ensure it’s error free and if possible, ask someone else to review it for you.
If you’re ready to take the next step in your career, Contact PrideStaff North Dallas. We have access to positions in a variety of industries from employers who want to work with you.