Trying to figure out your next big career move? It’s important to realize that your career is essentially a roadmap ─ each stop serves as a stepping stone that will catapult you to your next position. Every new opportunity gets you one step closer to reaching your dream job.
Put the following five techniques into action to take your career to the next level:
- Figure Out Where You’re Headed: It’s important to know where you’d ultimately like to end up in your career, so you can focus on taking the right steps toward getting there. It’s easy to get sidetracked floating from job to job, which won’t help you land your dream job. If you know where you’re going, you’ll be able to chart your path to get there.
- Don’t be Afraid to Share Your Opinions: While employers value workers who quietly do as they’re told, these people don’t typically make it too far up the ladder. If you want to get noticed, it’s important to make yourself stand out. Contribute to meetings by coming prepared to with questions, comments, and ideas offering valuable insights.
- Exceed Expectations: Impress your boss by going above and beyond what’s expected of you for the good of the company. If you have a big deadline approaching, put in some extra hours to ensure you’ll meet it and always be willing to take on extra work if needed. This can-do attitude shows you’re a great team player.
- Ask for More Responsibility: If you feel like you’ve got a strong handle on your current workload, don’t be afraid to ask for more responsibility. Not only will taking the initiative to do more work impress your boss, you’ll also be able to put these new tasks on your resume. Think of a few specific tasks to request, so you’re able to gain skills that will help to advance your career.
- Never Pass Up a Networking Opportunity: Making the right connections is the key to getting ahead. Join a professional association relevant to your field to meet others who may be able to help you get ahead. Even when you’re not currently looking for a job, making these connections now can help you in the future.
If you’re ready to find a new job that allows you to advance your career, contact PrideStaff North Dallas. We have access to a wide-range of available positions from employers who want to help you succeed.